Sunday, January 23, 2011

Whalin time!

I FINALLY got my Mac back from the Apple store. While I could do many things with my work laptop, I had lots of stuff, like Willie ads, on the Mac.

So Willie's back too.



I know what "gale" is, a strong wind, but lolly? The best I could do was the Water Words manual from the Nevada Division of Water Resources, which says:
Frazil (Frazil Ice) — A French-Canadian term for the fine spicular ice, derived from the French words for cinders which this variety of ice most resembles. When formed in slat water it is known as Lolly Ice. When first formed, frazil is colloidal and is not visible in the water.


I think "slat water" is a typo for "salt water." So perhaps "lolly and gale" is an icy ocean gale?

The term "deep six" according to the wiktionary is: A nautical expression indicating a water depth of 6 fathoms (36 feet) as measured by a sounding line; "deep six" acquired its idiomatic definition from the fact that something thrown overboard at or greater than this depth would be difficult if not impossible to recover.

So I'm not exactly sure what Willie is saying here. He wants the Saturday night bottle so bad, and the weather up in the crow's nest (I think that's what that platform is) is so bad that he'd rather jump overboard? Although knowing Willie, he'd do anything for his bottle, lolly and gale or no.

Next post: samples of offensive cartoons from Alain's Steeplechase.