Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Willie at the Montauk light

Let's not forget how this Whaler Bar mania got started - I saw an ad for Willie the Whaler in a back issue of the New Yorker. Now I'm toying with the idea of doing a play featuring WtW.


This is the first time I've seen an actual geographic reference in a Willie ad.



He is referring to the Montauk Point Light - per Wiki:
"It was the first lighthouse in New York State, and is the fourth-oldest active lighthouse in the United States. The tower is 110' 6" high. The current light, installed in July 2001, equivalent to approximately 290,000 candle power, flashes every 5 seconds and can be seen a distance of 17 nautical miles (31 km).

Pirate Captain Kidd was said to have buried treasure at the foot of the lighthouse around 1699 at two ponds which today are called "Money Ponds.

Willie word definitions:

We already know what a "painter" is.

Coble - is a type of open fishing boat which developed on the North East coast of England.

Throbble - I can't find anything better than the Urban Dictionary's definition: "When one looses his or her ability to stand or walk after consuming to many alcohlic beverages. " That certainly sounds like Willie's speed. I can't find any references to "throbble bowl" except this very ad in the New Yorker!

The more I compare the Willie graphics with the other graphics of Alain, the more I think he was the artist. I emailed the estate of Daniel Brustlein to see if I can get confirmation.