Friday, September 02, 2011

sooooooouuuuulllll train!



You can't watch this video without feeling love for these lithe attractive young people in their adorable 1970s outfits complete with bellbottoms. Even the guy with the dog bone.

But then it makes me a little sad. Where are they now? They're all pushing 60 so they're nowhere near as lithe and attractive as they are in this moment.

God, I'm such a party pooper.

Almost everything in American popular culture derives directly from Black culture. I never realized how much until I went out of the country - to Ireland - and felt like there was just something missing... for the longest time I couldn't figure out what and then finally it hit me - Ireland is missing the "coolness" of Black-infused culture.

My middle-school friends and I didn't watch Soul Train because we were all about rock and roll and this was soul music. We weren't racists so much as we believed there were these strictly separate musical spheres. Equal but separate. God we were idiots.

Well, people can change for the better, even if they rarely become more lithe.