Monday, April 16, 2012

New Yorker Parity Report - April 23, 2012

Slightly higher than usual but still of course a comfortable distance from parity this week. I was intrigued to see an article on Alison Bechdel - I wonder if they mention the Bechdel test? Certainly I've done my part to raise awareness of it with the NYCPlaywrights April Play of the Month. I could read the issue online and find out now, but I'm waiting for the print edition - I prefer to read the hard copy whenever possible.


The New Yorker Parity Report

A regular report on the gender parity - or lack thereof - of the current issue of The New Yorker based on table of contents by-lines
Includes fiction, non-fiction, poems. Does not include illustrations.


A score of 50% means that half of all writers in the issue are female.
A score of greater than 50% would mean more female than male writers. This never happens.


Parity change from previous week: +5%

April 23, 2012

Total writers: 22
male: 15
female: 7
gender parity score: 32%

Last week's score
Total writers: 26
male: 19
female: 7
gender parity score: 27%